Election of the members of the national Parliament. The last elections were held on 22 January 2016, for a four-year term. The elections are to choose 52 MPs, from 18 constituencies (six single-member and 12 multiple-member). The law provisions require the elections to be conducted in March 2020.
The success of the electoral process depends on the accuracy of the procedures as well as commitment and sound implementation by the polling staff. Considering that the success of the elections is measured against the integrity of the process, accuracy and proper implementation of the procedures are considered the most important factor towards achieving the free and fair elections - and Vanuatu deserves free and fair elections for preserving the achievements of our democratic system attained since our Independence.
A significant amount of experience has been accumulated in the past four decades. The objective of this manual is to consolidate the good practices for smooth and transparent polling and counting operations, fully complying with the electoral laws and procedures.
- Starting date for lodging of candidature appliaciton forms: 21 January 2020.
- Closing date for lodging of candidature application forms: 11 February 2020.
- Closing of 2020 electoral registration: 5 February 2020.
- Decleration of qualified candidates for parliament general election: 2 March 2020.
- Political campaign to commence on: 2 March 2020 and will close at 12 midnight 16 March 2020.
- Closing date for lodging of proxy application forms & duplicate electoral cards: 4 March 2020.
- POLLING DATE: 19 MARCH 2020.